With my high from the end of indoor season I was ready for an exciting outdoor steeple season. I knew with a 9:23 open 3k time I could break 10 in the steeple and make my way to nationals. Though I never did break 10, I still felt like I had a very successful last season. My first race was at USC and I did the steeplechase. I won the race with a 10:26 which was about where I was last year at the end of the season. This was a big comfort for me because my form was on spot, I was running by myself, and I knew I had so much in me.
The next race I ran was at Stanford. This race was a great breakthrough for me. I was very disappointed that I wasn't in the fastest heat because I felt like I deserved it. Instead though I was able to lead my heat and place second to a professional with a new PR of 10:09 which punched my ticket to regionals and was on target for nationals.
My next race was at Mt Sac. I warmed up way to early because the races got major delayed and I ran my second fastest with 10:16 but I was still very disappointed. I ran a fun home meet mile and won with a 4:52 and that was super fun and felt fast. It was also a senior night where they honored us with a plaque. My last race before regionals was in Virginia. This was a very disappointing for my whole team. I ran the 5k with hopes again to breaking 16:20 but instead ran a 16:36.
Regionals was in Fayteville Arkansas and because of that my Parents got to come watch me steeple and visit my Grandma in Rogers. I was in the third and final heat of the race. Top three automatically qualified and the next three fastest times went after that. I wanted to get top three so I didn't have to gamble with time. Leading up to the race something was really wrong with me and I was having a terrible time finishing practices and racing hard. I was nervous for this race but knew I only had this chance. At the beginning of the race, I put myself in great condition but immediately new this was going to be a struggle. With three laps to go I was in 12th place and I thought all hope was lost. With two laps to go my coach randomly yelled, "you can do this!" which he later told me he thought he just lied to himself and me when he said that. I took that as my opportunity to move. With one lap to go I was in ninth. On the first barrier I passed three people to be in 6th, on the third barrier I got to 5th, on the water jump I moved to 4th, and on the final stretch I literally willed myself into 3rd places punching my ticket to Nationals. It was an incredible experience and one I will never forget. I wish I could say that Nationals went just as well but it didn't, my body still wasn't responding and I dropped so far back in the prelims that I placed 19th out of 24 girls. It was still a great experience because they flew Jed out and we got to see some awesome track. It also showed me that I could do great things in the coming cross country season and I was ready to work hard. I was honorable mention All-American from the experience as well. I tried for a year to get a medical red shirt for my freshman year season but without sufficient medical records my case got denied. This was my last competing collegiate track season. I feel so blessed to have been able to run at such a great University. I am so happy to have to track opportunity that I did but also to have the support that I did from my wonderful family and loving husband Jed. Jed has always been 100% behind me and has pushed me to be a better runner than I could have ever imagined. He has seen the ups and downs and truly has helped and blessed me through it all.
Regionals





No comments:
Post a Comment