I took the OAT on July 6th, on our two year anniversary. I can't even remember why it was that it landed on that day but Andrea was very forgiving of it happening. I am still surprised how calm I felt that morning. Andrea and I had asked both families to keep me in their prayers leading up to the exam so I know that I had lots of help. The exam lasted about five hours and aside from running out of time on the math section I felt very confident and calm. I would have been extremely happy with a 320 but when my score came back as a 370 I couldn't believe it! It is amazing what prayer and preparation can do together. Andrea and I celebrated both our anniversary and my testing success with some frozen custard from Rita's that night.
The next few days were spent feverishly trying to complete my online application with transcripts, my personal statement, volunteer and work experience as well as letters of recommendation. The application for the entering class of 2015 had opened on the 2nd and I wanted to be one of the first ones in (thanks to some great advice from multiple people this proved to be a huge advantage for me since optometry admissions and scholarships are on a rolling basis). My application was submitted on July 15th and I received an email from my top choice, Southern College of Optometry, less than two weeks later letting me know I had been invited for an interview on August 11. I flew out to Memphis on the 10th and spent the day driving out to see the temple as well as some of the surrounding communities. I made sure to buy some Memphis BBQ at Corky's which was everything it was made out to be (topped off with a pecan pie of course).
SCO on evening of Aug 10th
The interview process started at 8 the next morning. There were about seven other applicants there at the same time and they gave us some time to visit and meet each other. We then met individually with a faculty member and then came back together for a campus tour. I was impressed with the school facility as well as how much the administration took into account feedback from the students while improving their school. My tour guide was a BYU alumni and he had some great insights into life as a married student which helped ease some of my concerns. It was also reaffirmed multiple times that Southern hospitality is alive and well. I felt very welcomed and it was easy to talk to the students and faculty.
We were told that the admissions board would be meeting the next monday. (Weeks later I found out that my dad had marked that day on his calendar and fasted for me - something that shows what an amazing example of faith he has been to me throughout my life.) Andrea and I were at Mt. Rushmore when I got a call from Mike Robertson, the head of Admissions at SCO. He congratulated me on my achievements and offered me a seat for the incoming class of 2015. Weeks later while I was in Aspen Grove for a work retreat, I received a second call letting me know that I was awarded the Presidential Endowed Scholarship at SCO. The scholarship was worth $60,000 (about half tuition) over the four years! The scholarship board specifically shared with me how impressed they were with my leadership and work experience with BYU Intramurals. I of course accepted the seat and scholarship as soon as I returned home to Provo. The entire process went more smoothly than I ever could have imagined!
At Mt. Rushmore soon after getting the great news!
Andrea and I have been so extremely blessed in this entire process and we owe so many people so many thanks for all they have done. We are now anxiously awaiting our move to Memphis and look forward to our time there!



No comments:
Post a Comment