Sunday, February 4, 2018

Porter Grant Harrison

Porter Grant Harrison was born into our family on August 30th 2017 at 5 pm. We are more than thrilled to have him in our family. I was induced Tuesday night and he had a little trouble coming, but with some extra help Porter joined us on Wednesday evening. We were in awe and beyond happy. Jed is a natural dad and we both fell in love immediately. Because both Porter and I had fevers when he was born, we had to stay in the hospital a little longer than we wanted to. Fortunately,  all was well and we finally got to go home. When we got home we were pleasantly surprised by the amount of help that our friends and family gave to us. We weren't able to have any family come and help us, which absolutely terrified me, but our ward stepped up in more ways than we could have ever imagined. They were amazing and I will be forever grateful to them.



Our first day home, our air conditioning went out. It was in the high 90's and high humidity and by 9 am our home was already at 87 degrees. We didn't know what to do and started to panic. We stripped Porter down to his diaper and Jed made a temporary fix so he wouldn't get too hot. He put ice in a cooler and the fan in front of the cooler and Porter in front of that. It was pretty makeshift but it did the job until we could figure out how to get help. Thankfully, a man in our ward does repairs and he came over quickly. Originally we thought it was going to be a major fix that wold take hours, maybe a couple days, but it ended up being a minor fix and things were up and running in no time. It was a blessing.


Jed, thankfully, was able to get some time off of school and then had a three day weekend to spend time with Porter and I. We did a lot of bonding and watched a lot of Fixer Upper. It was fun adjusting to our new life.
When Jed went back to school I was pretty nervous to do things on my own but luckily I have amazing mothers, sisters, and sister-in-laws that have all done this and who all gave amazing advise, praise, and encouragement. I couldn't have done it without them.
Porter was a very happy baby from the beginning and smiled quickly. He was a chunk and didn't loose any weight when he left the hospital. He only went up! Porter has brought nothing but joy to our family and we have learned so much from him. I love taking time to just sit and stare at his perfect self as he continually grows and explores his world around him. He is learning things at lightning speed and it's amazing to see him grow and change quickly. I don't want him to grow up to quickly, but I love seeing him grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment